AIChE DVS Student Outreach (K-12) Opportunity
The objective of AIChE Delaware Valley Section (DVS) K-12 outreach group is to introduce an academic enrichment program for promising K-12 students who are interested in studying and exploring careers in science and engineering, particularly chemical engineering. This program emphasizes the value and reward of pursuing advanced technical degrees and careers while reinforcing the skills necessary to achieve success in science and engineering at a young age.
Kindergarten through 12th Grade.
Free for K-12 students and partner organizations with AIChE.
All educational supplies and materials have been generously sponsored by the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (National).
The AIChE DVS Student Outreach (K-12 ) Group put together four hands-on engineering experiments (focused mainly on chemical engineering concepts) to increase student exposure to chemical engineering.
The four experiments include:
- Carbon Captured Chalk Experiment. Goal: To teach students about carbon sequestration and double substitution reactions.
- Slime Experiment Goal: To introduce the concept of cross-linking and polymer formation.
- Homemade Ice Cream Experiment. Goal: To introduce the concept of freezing point of depression.
- Lip Gloss Experiment . Goal: To introduce how chemical engineering extends to consumer products such as lip gloss through modification of chemical properties.
How Can I Get Involved?
- Individual Volunteer: If you’re a volunteer and are looking to partner with AIChE to see how you can contribute your time as a mentor/host of these hands-on engineering activities at local schools, sign up here: goo.gl/2j91kX.
- School/Teacher: If you’re a teacher/ mentor of an afterschool program and would like to partner with AIChE DVS, please contact Ted Heron at email@example.com.
- Sponsor: If you’re a company/ organization that is interested in sponsoring supplies/funding, please contact Ted Heron at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- iPraxis Education Works Duckrey School – Nov 24, 2015
- iPraxis Wissahickon Elementary School Science Fair – Dec 18, 2015
- Future Cities Competition – Jan 30, 2016
- ECP Architects and Engineers Night – Wells Fargo Center – Feb 8, 2016
- ECP Engineer’s Week at North Penn High School – Feb 26, 2016
- Creation Station with SHPE – Esperanza College – Feb 27, 2016
- Science Fair at Oak Park Elementary School with Drexel and Merck – March 3, 2016
- ECP East Norriton MS Event – March 19, 2016
- ECP Philadelphia Science Festival – April 30, 2016
- ACLAMO Family Center After School – May 12, 2016