Hi, my name is Chris Sowa and I have the honor of serving as your Chair for the upcoming year.
Along with me stand 24 other talented and motivated members of our local section board and together we have mapped out an interesting year for all of you.
I say “interesting” because this pandemic has caused us to rethink and retool our meetings and engagements for the year.
We are starting the year with all virtual meetings. The exception will be our CEO Dinner at the Union League on May 19, 2021. Jeff Warmann has agreed to speak and we look forward to this exciting and signature event.
In keeping with our service to the professional engineering community, we have monthly PDH sessions scheduled.
In addition, we are planning an array of speakers to address the general needs of our members from career and financial planning to green energy topics.
Finally, we continue to serve our academic members with annual awards and several other virtual events.
We hope you can join us for one or many of these events. Participation will be a ‘low activation energy’ activity, just a click of a mouse away, joining from the comfort of your home.
Now, if you are not sure you are a chemical engineer, you might be one if:
- You have a favorite pump manufacturer.
- You can size a distillation column in your head but need a pencil and paper to figure out the tip on a $45 restaurant bill…….and you think that spending $45 for dinner is exorbitant.
- You can remember seven computer passwords, ……but not your anniversary.
So, if you meet (or exceed) the above description, we gladly welcome you to our events!!!
I would like to end with two requests for all our members.
- First, please take the time to invite one of your co-workers to a local section meeting or event. It is a great way to connect with your fellow chemical engineers and to find out what is going on in your field close to home.
- Second, find the time to do a random act of kindness for someone around you. While the person on the receiving end will be pleased, I guarantee an excellent return on investment for you too.